Current:Home > StocksArmenia accuses Azerbaijan of "ethnic cleansing" in Nagorno-Karabakh region as 65,000 "forcefully displaced" -Capitatum
Armenia accuses Azerbaijan of "ethnic cleansing" in Nagorno-Karabakh region as 65,000 "forcefully displaced"
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 05:53:18
Armenia's Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan accused neighboring Azerbaijan on Thursday of "ethnic cleansing" as tens of thousands of people fled the Azerbaijani region of Nagorno-Karabakh into Armenia. Pashinyan predicted that all ethnic Armenians would flee the region in "the coming days" amid an ongoing Azerbaijani military operation there.
"Our analysis shows that in the coming days there will be no Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh," Pashinyan told his cabinet members on Thursday, according to the French news agency AFP. "This is an act of ethnic cleansing of which we were warning the international community for a long time."
Nagorno-Karabakh is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, but it has been populated and run by ethnic Armenian separatists for several decades. About a week ago, Azerbaijan launched a lightning military offensive to bring the breakaway region — home to fewer than 150,000 people before the exodus began — fully under its control.
Over the last week, amid what Azerbaijan calls "anti-terrorist" operations in Nagorno-Karabakh, tens of thousands of people have fled to Armenia. Armenian government spokeswoman Nazeli Baghdasaryan said in a statement that some "65,036 forcefully displaced persons" had crossed into Armenia from the region by Thursday morning, according to AFP.
Some of the ethnic Armenian residents have said they had only minutes to decide to pack up their things and abandon their homes to join the exodus down the only road into neighboring Armenia.
"We ran away to survive," an elderly woman holding her granddaughter told the Reuters news agency. "It was horrible, children were hungry and crying."
Samantha Powers, the head of the U.S. government's primary aid agency, was in Armenia this week and announced that the U.S. government would provide $11.5 million worth of assistance.
"It is absolutely critical that independent monitors, as well as humanitarian organizations, get access to the people in Nagorno-Karabakh who still have dire needs," she said, adding that "there are injured civilians in Nagorno-Karabakh who need to be evacuated and it is absolutely essential that evacuation be facilitated by the government of Azerbaijan."
The conflict between the Armenian separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh and Azerbaijan had simmered for years, but after the recent invasion was launched, the separatists agreed to lay down their arms, leaving the future of their region and their people shrouded in uncertainty.
- In:
- Armenia
- Azerbaijan
- ethnic cleansing
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (26261)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Recommendation
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Travis Hunter, the 2
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast